Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Good Recipes?

So, I have been Tagged by Becca in the search for better ideas for DINNER! (click on her name and it would take you to her blog)

Well, if you speak to Blake, he would testify that I'm not the best of cook but I am getting better.
I do agree at time I'm at lost for "What to have for Dinner"!?!? but when I have those moments we have Breakfast for Dinner, like homemade Waffle, Pancakes, Eggs and Bacon. (Usually made by my hubby!)I'm a little spoiled because my husband cooks all the meals on the weekends and I just do the week's dinners.

But Usually we have;
  • Chicken Enchiladas
  • Chicken Tortilla Casserole
  • Teriyaki or BBQ Meat with Rice
  • Pasta either with Poultry, Meat, Sausage or Seafood with red or white sauce.
  • Roast Pork or Steak and ARROZ CON GANDULES with is Yellow Rice with Green Pigeon Peas ( When I'm feeling Spanish)
  • Puerto Rican Fried Meat Pies (Empanadas)Not very often!
  • Cooking Bananas with Fried Portuguese Sausage with saute onions

So, we live in Hawaii and Spam is very BIG here!
  • BBQ Spam and Pineapple and Rice
As for vegetable a ton Tomatoes because we belong to a Tomatoes Coop. The recipes above varies for week to week.

Becca I hope this help. I also look up recipes on the web.
I thought this tag was fun, so I decide to tag LIZ.

(click on her name and it would take you to her blog)


So how the tag works is... you pretty much just do the same thing that I did. Blog your usual dinner meals for a week. I am hoping that you will be inspire to do and try something new! If you see something yummy that you want to try, just post a comment on the persons blog asking for the recipe.

6 comments:

The Taylor Family said...

Oh my gosh your dinners are fabulous!!!! Are you sure there is no way you are every going to mve back to utah to we can cook together???? I want your recipe for your chicken tortialll casarole. Okay I changed my mind like all of them! Yes yes email them! Thank you so much!

Jessica O. said...

The pictures are fabulous. Can I get the recipe for the rice? They all look and sound great!

Hawaiian Chicken

4-6 Chicken Breasts (bite size pieces)
1/2 C. flour
1/2 C. Cornstarch
mix together and coat chicken
3-4 eggs beaten
Dip coated chicken into eggs and then brown in a frying pan.

Sauce:
1/2 C. Chicken broth
3/4 C. Sugar
3/4 C. Vinegar
4 T. Ketchup
1 T. Soy Sauce

Dissolve sugar in vinegar first. Then add the rest. Mix sauce with browned chicken and Bake @ 350 for 45- 1 hour. Sauce will thicken. I like to double the sauce but you usually need to cook for a full hour if you do. This is really good with rice. Also kind of messy to make and takes a little practice but so worth it.

Shauna Hardy said...

Leslie - your recipes sound wonderful! I am so boring! I haven't responded to Becca's tag yet. It will be pretty sad compared to yours!

Chrystie said...

Wow, you are the woman...could you send me your chicken tortilla casserole recipe too? Thanks!!

Kirstin Schmidt said...

Ham and Au Gratin Potatoes

Ham

I get a spiral sliced Ham at Sam's or Costco. If you aren't close by to that go to the Meat Dept. in any Supermarket and ask them to cut you Ham about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick. Cook spiral ham according to package. If you buy from Meat Dept. Cook at 325 degrees Until Ham Glaze is bubbly approx 30 minutes for 1 1/2 pds to 2 pds. of Ham.

Ham Glaze

2 C. packed brown sugar
1 T. White Vinegar
1/4 C. Mustard
1/4 C. Ketchup

Remove Ham from Oven 15 minutes before finished. Spread desired amount of glaze on each slice of Ham until finished.

Au Gratin Potatoes

6 medium boiling or baking potatoes 2 pounds (I like the red potatoes the best with this recipe)
1/2 c. Margarine or butter
1 medium onion chopped (1/2 c.)
2 T. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. Salt
2 1/2 c. Milk
3 c. Shredded cheese (your choice)
1/4 c. fine dry bread crumbs
Paprika

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Prepare potatoes into 1/3 inch slices to measure about 4 cups (cut into circles).
3. Melt margarine in 2 quart sauce pan over medium heat. Cook onion in margarine about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly; remove from heat.
4. Stir in milk and 2 1/2 cups of the cheese. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
5. Spread potatoes in ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Por cheese sauce over potatoes.
6. Bake uncovered 1 hour. Mix remaining cheese and the bread crumbs; Sprinkle over potatoes. sprinkle with paprika. Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes longer or until top is brown and bubbly.

I ususally take about 4 slices of the Ham and cut them into cubes and put them with potatoes. If you want you can even put all the ham purchased and make a Ham and Potato Casserole. The Meat Dept. Will even cube/dice the ham for you.

Chrystie said...

Hi Leslie -
Sorry I am slow, but here is the recipe for the curry:

4 chicken breasts, cubed and browned
2 cupes juice (cocunut or cocunut-pineapple)
3 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 large sweet potato, cubed
(or you can use 2 regular potatoes)
Other veggies if desired (I like to add carrots, eggplant, peppers, etc.)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup shedded coconut
1 tsp red curry (to taste)

Brown chicken in a large pan or wok. Then add juice, curry, salt, sweet potatoes and other veggies. Cook until potatoes are almost done. Then add raisins, shredded coconut and red curry. Continue to simmer until potatoes are soft and done. Enjoy with Indian flat bread (naan) and rice.